Sunday, May 23, 2010

I Am Teaching at 17th Annual ASDP Conference

I am teaching a 'Working with Vintage Patterns' session at the Association of Sewing and Design Professionals Educational Conference Saturday, October 16, 2010 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30p.m. It will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel & Exhibition Center, Meadowlands in Secaucus, New Jersey.

I plan to spend the first part of the session introducing vintage patterns, some of their characteristics and demonstrate how vintage patterns can serve as a unique tool for contemporary couture.

Most of the session will be devoted to student hands-on in learning how to grade complicated pattern pieces using a sample pattern which is part of the kit for this class. We will also move into the first muslin iteration to learn working with marking techniques attributed to vintage patterns and for testing the first paper pattern grading effort.

My session is open to all levels of sewing ability, although the pattern work will be geared toward the more advanced sewing professional.

If one is planning to attend this event, I encourage bringing an original vintage pattern with which I may help for more individual advice. I recommend the user first trace the original onto pattern trace paper and bring the original along with the copy, if possible.

No comments: